LPA’s first publication from the field observations and journals of naturalist Michael Crofoot, in consultation with Santa Ana Garden Center, is a list beneficial wildflowers for Placitas pollinators selected for their ability to survive on precipitation once established, biodiversity, variety of color, ability to establish by seed and their benefit to bees, moths and butterflies from early spring through late fall. Available to you are:
- Two-page wildflower listing with images, descriptions and beneficial uses.
- The complete Michael Crofoot listing of 64 local wildflowers.
Perennials and Wildflowers
- Two-page Native tree listing with images and descriptions
The late Bill Dunmire, a past LPA board member, worked as a naturalist for the National Park Service for 28 years followed by several years as a biologist with the Nature Conservancy. In 1997 Bill produced a report on the Environmental Condition of the Placitas Open Space for the City of Albuquerque. The complete report is available at the Santa Ana Garden Center, 157 Jemez Dam Rd. Bernalillo, NM. The list of flower plants is found on the link below.
- Flowering Plants List for the Placitas Open Space (.pdf)
- Slide Show of Placitas Plants and Wildflowers by mike Raugh, from may 2010 Plant Hike Led by Bill Dunmire. Photos by George Ruptier and Mike Raugh
Also, take a look at Bill’s books written with Gail Tierney – Wild Plants of the Pueblo Province and Wild Plants and Native Peoples of the Four Corners. You’ll find wonderful photos and descriptions of plants in our area.