Sign Up Now!
Choose payment and pay with credit card or Paypal
Here is the plan for our 50th Anniversary fundraising adventure to Chaco Canyon on Saturday, October 21, tailored for photographers and other visual artists but open to everyone. Download your application here or contact us at email@example.com.
- LPA has worked with a 40-year veteran Chaco hiker/photographer/author and other resources to prepare the itinerary and reference materials (taking into account lighting at different times of day and suggested lenses), arrange transportation and a prepare a box lunch, leaving Placitas at 7:00 a.m. in order to arrive at Chaco about 9:15 a.m. You don’t need to be a professional photographer to benefit and don’t need an expensive camera, though cell phones are better suited for documentation/reference than enlargement and printing.
- We will spend the morning as a group, stopping first at the visitor center where we will catch up with folks who opted to arrive early and camp out. We will head out along the Chaco Loop about 10:00 am for the better known pueblo ruins which provide for almost unlimited photography choices – the entrances, the plazas, interior rooms, the massive rear wall, kivas, windows, niches and more.
- We will then proceed to the picnic tables at Pueblo del Arroyo for a lunch break and divide into smaller groups depending on hiking skill level and desired locations for your afternoon art adventure. Plein air painters will want to be stationary while others may wish to concentrate on petroglyphs or additional ruins and others decide to climb ancient stairs to the mesa top. We will shuttle groups around during the afternoon and plan to stay until 4 pm (perhaps park closing at 5 pm depending on the group’s activities) and return to Placitas around dark.
- Transportation has turned out to be a challenge as some folks want to arrive the day before and camp out (providing their own transportation) and we have the opportunity to rent a 15-passenger van from the Sr. Center for the day, but only for passengers 60 and over. Some LPA members will provide the comfort of their private vehicles for the remainder.
- There will be a follow up session to review images and discuss turning them into works of art with one-on-one Photoshop assistance provided if needed.
- The experience will culminate with an exhibit of your work in 2024. A portion of image sales will benefit the Placitas Community Library and Las Placitas Association.